Common Signs of An Unhealthy Gut and The Best Ways to Fix It
2 January 2020
Our gut health tremendously influences our overall wellbeing from our weight, our mood, and cognitive ability. If something goes wrong with your gut, it can lead to simple or complex disorders such as diarrhea, heartburn, Irritable bowel syndrome, leaky gut, allergies, mood disorders, dementia, autoimmune conditions and also cancer. It can be the reason for back pain, a root cause of depression, or other chronic conditions. So, the gut is connected to everything in the body. Recent studies reveal that more than a hundred million Americans suffer from digestive disorders. In the modern world, there are endless obstacles that can knock off the balance in our digestive system. In our previous blogs, we have already highlighted the importance of gut health and the factors that affect the health of our gut. In this blog, we will bring to light the warning signs that show when your gut is off the balance and the best ways to fix it, as a healthy gut is the centerpiece of a healthy body and mind.
Common signs of an unhealthy gut:
When your gut is healthy, you will have a healthy bowel movement every day and you don’t feel depleted of energy or lethargic. Identifying the symptoms of an unhealthy gut and looking for ways to fix it is essential for overall wellbeing. When there are imbalances in the gut, you will notice the following symptoms.
- Digestive issues such as constipation, diarrhea, bloating, belly pain that doesn’t resolve over time
- Frequent headaches
- Feeling exhausted or tired even after a meal
- Anxiety or depression
- Hormonal imbalances such as thyroid hormone imbalance
- Food allergies
- Acne or Eczema
- Sugar or Salt cravings
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Blood sugar imbalances
- Bad breath
- Rapid weight loss or weight gain
- Chronic unmanageable stress
- Disturbed sleep cycle
- Falling ill due to suppressed immunity
It is important to understand that, many symptoms look unrelated to the gut. Things like anxiety, brain fog, acne, or eczema may not seem connected but could be linked to autoimmune conditions such as arthritis or psoriasis which are absolutely gut-related problems. So, focusing on the best ways to heal the gut can help improve your health.
Best ways to fix an unhealthy gut:
- Diet is directly linked to the health of your gut. While it is important to consume healthy foods to promote good gut health, it is equally important to eliminate foods that are processed, high-fat, high in refined sugars, foods that may cause food intolerance or foods that cause allergies such as gluten-rich, soy, nuts, and others. Some of these foods such as refined sugar foods destroy good bacteria and cause gut dysbiosis. Foods rich in gluten may irritate the gut lining and cause leaky gut. There are many foods that can actively promote the growth of good bacteria and overall gut health. These include:
- Eating high fiber foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables
- Anti-inflammatory foods such as turmeric, ginger, garlic and onion
- Eating prebiotics foods like cruciferous veggies (cauliflower, Kale, Broccoli, cabbage, etc)
- Having fermented foods such as coconut milk yogurt, sauerkraut, kimchi, tempeh, kefir, kombucha, etc
- Having collagen boosting foods such as bone broth and organ meats
- Eating smaller meals and chewing food slowly to fully digest it before you swallow.
- Having good sleep contributes to a strong immune system, brain health, heart health, enhances digestive functions and helps prevent cancers and even autoimmune conditions
- Managing stress is very crucial for good health. Meditation, yoga, and exercise can help reduce stress.
- Avoid smoking and drinking
- Maintaining good oral hygiene is very important as bad bacteria can take over good bacteria in your stomach
Bottom line: The human gut is complex and maintaining your gut health is absolutely essential to have great health. So, take steps to work on promoting the health of your gut, watch your diet and lifestyle, and look forward to welcoming the good change in your life! Autoimmune Health & Nutrition is all about promoting good health and nutrition and making lives healthier and happier!